L’Arpeggiata; Christina Pluhar director, theorbo; Philippe Jaroussky countertenor
Music For A While – Improvisation on Henry Purcell
10 July 2014 - 7:30pm
£18 £25 £30 £35
- Tickets are now on sale for all concerts in this series.
- Please see Related Concerts at the bottom of the page for full listing.
This concert will be approximately 1 hour 30 minutes in duration, without an interval.
- ’Twas within a furlong of Edinborough Town from The Mock Marriage
- Music for a while
- Strike the viol from Come, ye sons of art away
- An Evening Hymn
- One charming night
- A Prince of glorious race descended
- O solitude, my sweetest choice
- Dido’s Lament from Dido and Aeneas
- Here the deities approve
- Wondrous machine! from Hail, bright Cecilia
- Ah! Belinda from Dido and Aeneas
- Hark! How the songsters of the grove from Timon of Athens
- In vain the am’rous flute
- Sound the trumpet
- Man is for the woman made
- The Plaint
About this concert
For the final concert in L’Arpeggiata’s Baroque Residency this Season, countertenor Philippe Jaroussky joins Christina Pluhar and her mercurial period instrument ensemble, famed for their clever mix of Baroque tonalities fused with folk elements and jazz improvisations. Through this programme, which delves deep into the soundworld of Henry Purcell, the musicians promise fresh French perspectives on the work of ‘the English Orpheus’.
Supported by the Season Patrons who have made a major contribution to the 2013/14 Wigmore Series
This concert is part of the following series: