Thursday 15 February 2018 7:30PM
Ruby Hughes soprano; Joseph Middleton piano
Songs for New Life and Love
There is a pre-concert talk ahead of this evening concert.
This concert is part of Chamber Zone, a free ticket scheme for young people aged 8-25 years old. Please call the Box Office on 020 7935 2141 and quote “Chamber Zone” to book
This concert will be approximately 2 hours in duration, including an interval
Ticket bookings are subject to a £2.00 administration fee. This fee covers the whole booking and is not per ticket.
- Ruby Hughes soprano
- Joseph Middleton piano
Explore love, lullabies and the bond between parent and child in a programme crowned by the world première of a song cycle by Composer in Residence Helen Grime, setting poems from Fiona Benson’s Bright Travellers, a remarkable and moving collection of poetry which explores the pain, passion, beauty and joy of becoming a parent.
Helen Grime, Wigmore Hall's Composer in Residence, is supported by The Marchus Trust
Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
- Prelude from Jugendlieder 1827
- Frauenliebe und -leben Op. 42
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)
Charles Edward Ives (1874-1954)
- The Housatonic at Stockbridge
- Memories: a. Very Pleasant, b. Rather Sad
- Songs my mother taught me
Helen Grime (b.1981)
- New work (world première) 
Benjamin Britten (1913-1976)
- Ca' the yowes
- At the mid hour of night
- Come you not from Newcastle?
- O Waly, Waly
- Commissioned by Wigmore Hall with the support of André Hoffmann, president of the Fondation Hoffmann, a Swiss grant-making foundation